The Otsuka group recognizes the invaluable benefits provided by the global environment, and thus deeply values the wonder of life. It understands that nature’s gifts are the key to our future, and is consequently committed to protecting biodiversity worldwide.
- The group will deepen its understanding of the relationship between business activities and biodiversity.
- The group will strive to reduce the environmental impact of business activities that impact biodiversity.
- The group will strive for sustainable use of resources (including ecosystem services), and for fair and equitable distribution of genetic resources in accordance with international arrangements.
- The group will work on conservation of biodiversity by communicating, cooperating and collaborating with stakeholders worldwide.
- The group will help foster public awareness of biodiversity.
Relationship between Biodiversity and Business Activities
Our main initiatives
Otsuka pharmaceutical’s Tokushima Itano Factory has created facilities that are friendly to people and the environment on the basis of building harmonious relationships with the natural environment. The design of the factory complex includes incorporating the pre-construction landscape, and reintroducing native plants in an effort to preserve the original biological habitats. In addition, the biotope that are friendly to people and the environment with a total length of about 450 m, fed by cooling water from the plant, provides an environment for diverse aquatic creatures to flourish, including dragonfly larva, water scorpions, and pygmy water lilies.
Since 2004, we have been supporting the ”Extinct Fish Hemigrammocypris rasborella Revitalization Project” in collaboration with industry, government, academia and the private sector, and have been releasing the freshwater fish ” Hemigrammocypris rasborella2” to promote the conservation of rare species. By reviving endangered species, we are also contributing to raising employee awareness. It is also used for social studies tours and is a place for environmental education.
- 1:Biotope : A place has been restored to an ecosystem that was lost due to the establishment of a factory, etc., so that for bring back plants and animals that originally lived in the local area.
- 2:Hemigrammocypris rasborella : Ministry of the Environment Red List: Endangered IB. It is an endemic species of Japan and is a kind of freshwater fish classified in the Cyprinidae. The total length is about 5 cm, and in nature, it is mainly small individuals of about 3-4 cm. It is distributed from Shizuoka prefecture to the Pacific Ocean of Okayama prefecture, the coastal area of the Seto Inland Sea, eastern Shikoku (Tokushima and Kagawa prefectures), and northwestern Kyushu (Fukuoka and Saga prefectures).