The Otsuka group has identified “resource recycling and conservation” as a material issue in its environmental activities. In this regard, we believe it is critical to take prompt actions to advance plastic recycling and curb marine plastic pollution, which have become serious worldwide challenges in recent years.
We formulated the Otsuka Group Plastic Policy with the aim of contributing to a sustainable society.
Otsuka Group Plastic Policy
PET bottles comprise the majority of plastic containers and packaging used for consumer products by our group companies. For this reason, we believe that by promoting PET bottle recycling, we can reduce our reliance on fossil fuel and thereby contribute to environmental conservation. Our plan is to use PET bottles manufactured from recycled and plant-based materials and increase the percentage of such sustainable resource use in our production processes globally to 100% by 2030 and by 2050, we aimto eliminate the use of petroleumbased raw materials in all consumer products.
Our Vision for 2050
For our entire line of consumer products, we will do our best to use packaging that supports a sustainable society:
- No use of plastics made from petroleum-based materials
- Promote use of recycled, plant-based, and biodegradable materials
- Promote use of reusable packaging
Our Goal for 2030
- Achieve a 100 percent or higher content of recycled and plant-based materials in our PET bottles.
- Introduce alternative packaging (for example, paper) and increase the use of cans for our drink products.
- Step up the promotion of drink bottle recycling by introducing reusable packaging through a zero-waste sales and circular distribution model, which also includes the promotion of using sports bottles for our powder products.
- We will promote the use of alternative packaging and concurrently pursue using more recyclable materials for drink containers.
To advance PET material recycling, it is essential to recycle PET bottles for use as raw material. Together with our various stakeholders, we will advance our global efforts on proper collection and recycling of used PET bottles.
Revised July 2022
Containers and Packaging for a Sustainable Society
Based on the Otsuka Group Plastic Policy, we are quickly moving forward with measures to reduce the environmental impact caused by our plastic containers and packaging. In doing so, we are contributing to sustainable closedloop recycling for plastics and other resources.
Launch of PET Bottles Made Using Recycled Materials
We launched a PET bottle made using 50% recycled PET resin for Crystal Geyser in April 2021, and a 30% recycled PET bottle for POCARI SWEAT in March 2022. While moving forward with further technological development, we will gradually extend the use of recycled PET bottles to other products.
Guided by the Otsuka Group Plastic Policy, we are taking swift and effective action for every aspect of our use of plastic. In this way, we are contributing to the sustainable use of plastic and more effective resource recycling. Specific initiatives include developing an action plan for PET bottles, using recycled and plant-based materials, and examining options for alternative packaging.